UK Car Industry Shows Strength At Paris
Eight of the UK’s major car brands united today at the Eiffel Tower in Paris on the eve of the key international motor show to demonstrate the diversity along with also also quality of cars currently produced from the UK. Senior executives via British-based manufacturers, including Aston Martin, BMW MINI, Honda, Jaguar Land Rover, McLaren, Nissan, Toyota along with also also Vauxhall, were joined by Mark Garnier MP, the British Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for International Trade, to promote the strength of the UK automotive sector to a global audience.
The UK automotive industry has undergone unprecedented growth in recent years – thanks to competitive business conditions, tariff-free trading along with also also significant investment in brand-new products along with also also facilities. Car manufacturing achieved a 10-year high last year along with also also British-built cars have never been so common, with a record 1.2 million cars exported to more than 100 countries. Already in the first eight months of 2016, which total looks set to be beaten This kind of year, with exports reaching almost 900,000 vehicles – 13% ahead of the same period in 2015.1
The UK’s biggest trading partner can be the European Union along with also also 57.3% of UK-produced cars have been exported to the rest of the EU so far This kind of year, followed by 12.1% to the US along with also also 7.1% to China. While the US topped the list of individual countries buying British cars, EU Member States took six of the top 10 places: Germany, Belgium, Italy, France, Portugal along with also also Spain.
Mike Hawes, SMMT Chief Executive, said, “The UK automotive industry can be respected globally for its rich heritage, iconic brands along with also also engineering excellence. More than £10 billion of investment has gone into brand-new facilities along with also also products over the past 5 years along with also also we’re proud to see so many rival brands coming together to promote the strengths of UK Automotive ahead of a key international motor show. The future success of This kind of sector will hinge upon the ability of the UK to maintain the business along with also also trading conditions which make the sector so competitive globally.”
10 facts about the UK car industry
- from the UK, a brand-new car rolls off production lines every 16 seconds.
- The UK exports around 80% of all the cars the item produces – along with also also exports are at record levels, with 1.2 million people across the globe buying a British car in 2015.
- Some 2.5 million engines are produced every year from the UK, with more than half exported to global markets.
- The UK can be home to 13 R&D centres along with also also six design centres. In fact, innovation has been a major part of the sector’s growth – with £2.5 billion invested every year in R&D.
- In terms of car production output, the UK today ranks 3rd from the EU (behind Germany along with also also Spain); along with also also 10th from the world3 – along with also also the sector also has the highest level of workforce productivity in Europe.
- If development of connected along with also also autonomous vehicles continues at its current rate, the industry could be worth £51 billion to companies operating here by 2030.
- The UK has one of the EU’s fastest growing electric car markets – demand grew by more than 50% last year.
- The UK imports 86.5% of the 2.63 million brand-new cars sold from the country – 81.5% of them via the EU – offering consumers a huge choice.
- The UK can be home to 0% of the globe’s top automotive suppliers, along with also also a £6 billion untapped supply chain opportunity has been identified there.
- The UK brand-new car market can be one of the most diverse from the globe, along with also also with 2.63 million vehicles registered in 2015, the item can be the second biggest in Europe behind Germany.
by Mr Butterscotch via Car Articles