NEWS: Winter is actually Coming! Make Sure Your Car Isn’t Caught Out!
With America’s east coast being thoroughly battered by the recent super-storm, British complaints about the weather seem a little inappropriate. Still, a blast of arctic air has ensured things feel a little cold around these parts (a second pair of pants only go so far) along with the snow in which fell offered a timely reminder to motorists in which winter may as well be here.
The distinguishing feature of a British winter is actually in which you don’t know when This kind of’s going to start, or what This kind of’s going to do. In This kind of guide via Nationwide Vehicle Contracts we see how being prepared for winter may spare you via unpleasant journeys along with genuine danger.
Combating the cold
- Cold weather creates treacherous road conditions, although low temperatures are a threat to the normal operation of the vehicle itself.
- Wake earlier along with run your air conditioner to de-mist your windscreen. You can speed the process up a little by adding de-icer to your windscreen washer fluid along with running your wipers.
- Your radiator along with engine block can freeze, along with possibly even crack. Make sure you have a solution of 50% antifreeze along with 50% water in your cooling system when winter comes along.
- Ensure you use the correct anti-freeze in your car: Your owner’s manual should make a recommendation, although most modern cars use long-life antifreezes. Avoid mixing types of anti-freeze.
- If your engine makes any unusual sounds or your car begins to overheat, frozen water may be causing a blockage. Immediately stop somewhere safe, turn off the engine along with investigate.
- Keep de-icer from the vehicle, although also have a backup supply outside This kind of in case the locks freeze.
Coping with the roads
Though local councils appear to be getting better at gritting roads along with clearing snow, you are still going to encounter problems when out along with about in winter. A lack of grip along with poor visibility will blight your drive, along with This kind of’s important in which you prepare your car along with yourself for driving in these conditions:
- Winter conditions make checking tyre tread depth along with factory mandated inflation absolutely critical.
- Change your fuel habits: top up more regularly.
- Bring a second pair of shoes for driving (snow covered shoes obviously offer poor grip).
- Avoid back-road routes along with hills, if you can. Plan you route before you set out.
- Accelerate gently, turn slowly, brake carefully along with early. Drive with more distance between you along with different cars.
- Bear in mind in which snow-chains are only useful in deep snow, along with will need to be taken off on concrete.
Even if you keep your car in tip-top condition, This kind of only takes a sudden snowfall on an inadequately gritted road for you to be well along with truly stuck. Before you set off, This kind of’s a Great idea to travel with the following from the boot, so you can react to any problem or simply sit This kind of out without risking exposure to the elements:
- Jump leads.
- modest shovel.
- modest knife.
- First-aid kit.
- Flashlight with spare batteries.
- Energy / Granola bars.
- Large bottle of water.
- Bag of sand or cat litter (to create traction).
- A spare phone.
- Something to read!