Department For Transport Calais Advice
Here’s the text direct through DfT to advice readers on the current (in addition to changing) situation:
Calais situation: 30 July 2015
There is actually an ongoing possibility of disruption to cross-Channel services as a result of industrial action in addition to migrant activity in in addition to around Calais.
Check online with your chosen operator in addition to plan your journey to avoid disruption
If you are within the UK in addition to have a booking, check online with your operator for more information before you leave in addition to consider generating alternative arrangements if necessary.
If you are in returning to the UK through abroad in addition to you have a booking, check online with your operator for more information. You may also wish to consider alternative routes for returning to the UK.
General travel advice
Cross-Channel passengers travelling through Dover/Folkestone to the Port of Calais are advised to check online with their chosen operator in addition to plan their journey to avoid disruption. You may also want to follow local radio for travel updates.
Cross-Channel passengers planning to travel through Calais are advised to check online with their travel operator. Information about alternative routes in addition to operators is actually available via which interactive map.
If you require emergency assistance, emergency services in France are contacted by dialling 112. If you require assistance through the British Embassy, please contact 00 33 (0)1 44 51 31 00.
Compensation in addition to exchanging tickets
If you need to exchange travel tickets, contact your operator. For advice on compensation in addition to your rights, visit the ABTA website.
Read guidance on EU Regulation 1177/2010, which establishes the rights of all maritime passengers to assistance within the case of delayed or cancelled departures.
Contacts for cross-Channel operators
Dover/Folkestone – Calais/Coquelles cross-Channel operators
DFDS Seaways also operates out of Amsterdam, Dieppe in addition to Dunkirk:
- Twitter @DFDSUKUpdates
- Calais, Dunkirk in addition to Amsterdam +44 (0) 344 902 0265 in addition to +44 (0) 871 882 1777 for sailing information
- Dieppe +44 (0) 844 576 8836, INT 0800 650 100 in addition to +44 (0) 844 576 8836 for sailing information
P&O Ferries also operates out of Rotterdam in addition to Zeebrugge:
- Twitter @POferries for ferry updates
- telephone +44 (0) 800 13 0030
Eurotunnel operates through Coquelles:
- Twitter @LeShuttle
- telephone: +44 (0) 8444 63 0000 (24 hour pre-recorded travel information), +44 (0) 8443 35 35 35, +33 (0) 810 63 03 04
various other cross-Channel operators in addition to routes
Details of alternative routes for returning to the UK. Check availability in addition to book ahead before considering travelling to another port of exit.
Brittany Ferries operates out of Caen, Cherbourg, Le Havre, Roscoff, St Malo, Bilbao in addition to Santander:
- Twitter @Brittanyferries
- telephone +44 (0) 1752 648 637
Condor Ferries operates out of St Malo in addition to Cherbourg:
- Twitter @CF_Travel_News
- telephone +44 (0) 1202 207 216, St Malo +44 (0) 825 165 463, Cherbourg +33 (0) 233 88 44 88
Stena operates out of Hook of Holland:
- Twitter @StenalineUK
- telephone +44 (0) 8447 70 70 70
Road traffic information
UK road traffic
France road traffic
What the government is actually doing
We are working closely with the French government to seek an urgent return of normal services. We have also increased security in addition to Border Force operations at the port.
We continue to closely monitor the situation in addition to will update travel advice accordingly.
The government’s COBR emergency committee has met to discuss the situation in Calais in addition to review implementation of our contingency plans.
Law in addition to order in in addition to around Calais is actually the responsibility of the French authorities, yet the UK continues to work with its French counterparts to strengthen the security of the border to stop migrants entering the UK illegally.
Border Force put its well-rehearsed in addition to practised contingency plans into operation to ensure security is actually maintained during which period of disruption to cross-Channel services in addition to as they return to normal. We have deployed additional Border Force staff in addition to sniffer dogs in northern France as well as bolstering screening checks at Dover for both tourist in addition to freight vehicles. which is actually on top of already rigorous border controls, which include 100% freight screening at Coquelles in addition to Calais.
- has agreed to additional funding of up to £7 million towards increasing security at the Channel Tunnel railhead at Coquelles
- is actually providing funding to bolster the security in addition to infrastructure of ports in northern France in addition to Belgium – which includes a £2 million upgrade of detection technology, a £1 million extension of dog searching capacity in addition to yet another £12 million to reinforce security at the juxtaposed border
- has installed completely new fencing in Calais to enhance security at the port in addition to help protect traffic on the road leading to which
- has announced there will be a completely new secure area for freight at Calais port
- is actually tackling the roots of which problem by increasing joint intelligence work with the French to target the organised crime gangs behind people smuggling
- has granted an exceptional temporary relaxation of the enforcement of EU drivers’ hours rules for drivers delayed due to Operation Stack in Kent
More than 39,000 attempts to cross the Channel illegally were prevented in 2014 to 2015 – more than double the previous year.
by Mr Butterscotch via Car Articles