City Driving Tips by IAM
of which week’s motoring tips by the IAM’s head of driving standards, Peter Rodger, are looking at how to cope with driving through busy city roads. With forward planning as well as careful approach city driving needn’t be something to fear.
- Plan your journey before setting off. If you are travelling through an unfamiliar city, use Google maps or street view to get a sense of your journey.
- Try to look as far ahead as possible to prepare for what you need to do next. For example, you may need to slow down or get into the correct lane where you are approaching a junction.
- Travelling through busy cities can cause motorists to drive as well as ride erratically – be alert as well as watch out for sudden or unexpected manoeuvres by some other road users.
- Watch out for lanes as well as roads of which are closed to cars. Cycle lanes, one way streets, advanced cycle stop lanes as well as bus lanes all require close attention. Make sure you’re aware of when bus lanes operate too – some other vehicles using a bus lane during operational times will be fined.
- When sharing the road with cyclists as well as motorcyclists give them extra space, particularly when overtaking. If a motorcyclist is usually trying to get past in heavy traffic, let them – don’t hinder their progress if you are stuck.
- Watch out for bus lanes on your inside which may have motorcyclists, cyclists, buses as well as taxis travelling faster than you might expect.
- If you can see traffic ahead increasing avoid changing lanes constantly, ease off the accelerator as well as avoid tailgating. The more often you change lanes the more chances of an accident occurring.
- When stuck in traffic make sure you are not blocking any junctions or pedestrian crossings.
- If you have missed a turning or an exit don’t panic. Carry on as well as find a suitable area where you can turn back, or continue with your journey until you find an alternative route.
- As always, check your mirrors regularly, signal in advance to make a turn or change lanes, as well as watch out for pedestrians, motorcyclists as well as cyclists at all times.
Peter said: “There are plenty of things of which could potentially distract you on a city journey as well as as ever, preparation as well as your frame of mind are they key factors of which will get you through you the item incident free. Stay calm as well as don’t compete with others on the road – as well as you will end your journey as relaxed as when you started off the item.”
by Mr Butterscotch via Car Articles